Hot Guys Who Cook
Want to try the dishes of July’s batch of Hot Guys Who Cook? Well, here you go!
Dish: Organic Vegetarian Pizza
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 portobello mushroom, thinly sliced
1/2 tomato, sliced
5 olives, sliced
1 artichoke heart, sliced
1 clove garlic, diced
Handful baby spinach
1 tbsp mozzarella cheese, grated
1 gluten-free pizza crust
1 tbsp tomato pizza base
1. Preheat oven to 250 Degrees
2. To prepare the artichoke, peel its outer layer off, cut off its stem, leaves and hairy parts until you get to the artichoke heart. Cut it into small pieces.
3. Spread a thin layer of tomato paste on the gluten-free pizza crust
4. Add chopped garlic followed by some cheese.
5. Then, add all the other ingredients starting with the tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, olives and artichoke.
6. Sprinkle some spinach, basil and oregano leaves.
7. Top the pizza with more cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
9. Pop the pizza into the oven for about 15 minutes.
2 potatoes, 2cm squares
3 rashers bacon, diced
2 eggs, hardboiled
spring onions, chopped
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
1. Boil the potatoes in a pot until softened.
2. Melt butter in a pan and fry bacon until crisp.
3. Hard boil 2 eggs and peel the shells off.
4. Drain the potatoes and transfer them to another bowl.
5. Add the bacon, boiled eggs and mayonnaise into the bowl.
6. Mash all the ingredients together.
7. Add some spring onions and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds.
Steak & Mushroom Sauce
1 beef tenderloin steak
2 shiitake mushrooms
sesame seed oil
1. Heat up some sesame seed oil in a pan.
2. Place the steak into pan and cook for 3 minutes either side.
3. As it is cooking, add a small knob of butter.
4. Once cooked, set the steak aside, leaving the juices in the pan
5. Add the mushrooms to the pan with garlic and a little bit of water and stir until sauce thickens slightly.
6. Serve the steak along with a side of potato salad and boiled broccoli and carrots.
7. Finally, pour the mushroom sauce over the steak.
Dish: Berry and Cashew Nut Swirl
2 cups cashew nuts
2 dried dates
2 tsp dried buckwheat
1 tsp grated coconut
1 mango, diced
1. In a blender, mix cashew nuts with a few ice cubes and a dash of water until a smooth mixture is formed. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Now blend the blueberries, blackberries and dates together.
3. Assemble the mixture in a magarita glass.
4. First add half the dried buckwheat, half the cashew mixture, half the berry mixture and gently swirl with a spoon.
5. Next, add the mango and the remaining buckwheat.
6. Add another layer of cashew mixture and berries.
7. Finally, add an extra sprinkle of buckwheat and for a more Asian touch, sprinkle some grated coconut on top.
Dish: Roast Chicken
1 chicken, quartered
2 red bell peppers
bunch of spring onions, roots removed
whole garlic, separate into cloves
6 baby carrots
baby corn, sliced lengthways
5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 vine tomatoes
1 lemon, juiced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 tbsp, sage, chopped
1 tbsp, rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp, marjoram, chopped
1/2 cup, butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place chicken in a pot and sprinkle with chopped sage, marjoram and half the rosemary.
3. Season with grated lemon skin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Add potatoes and baby carrots into a pot of water, cover and bring to a boil.
5. Mix the remaining rosemary with half a cup of butter.
6. When the potatoes and carrots are soft, remove the water and add the butter mix.
7. Add shallots, spring onions, baby corn, zucchini, garlic, peppers and tomatoes to potato mixture and give it good shake.
8. On a big oven pan, drizzle olive oil and lay out slices of lemons and carefully arrange chicken pieces on top.
9. In a separate pan, place the mixed vegetables.
10. Allow both dishes to cook in the oven for 45 minutes.