Hot Guys Who Cook
Thinking of cooking up a storm this weekend? Why not try some of the dishes from these Hot Guys Who Cook?
Dish: Prawns & Watercress Salad
1 bunch watercress
1kg prawns, peeled
3 peppers, green, yellow and red, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 eggs, whites only
2 tbsp mochiko powder (rice powder)
knob of butter
handful of peanuts
Drizzle of light soya sauce
1. Cut off the thick stems of the watercress and steam until wilted.
2. Mix two egg whites in a bowl and whisk with 1 tablespoon of mochiko powder.
3. Coat the prawns with the batter and fry in hot oil.
4. In a separate pan, heat up some butter and sauté the vegetables.
5. Toss in bell peppers and tomatoes.
6. Add peanuts and drizzle some light soya sauce, stir fry well.
Dish: Pepper and garlic-crusted Salmon
600g salmon, filleted
1 tbsp black and white pepper corns
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves, garlic chopped
1 tsp ginger, minced
1. Remove skin from Salmon
2. In a bowl, mix the ground pepper corns, garlic, ginger, onion and a little salt together with 1 egg white and some mochiko powder.
3. Coat the top of the salmon fillet with the mixture.
4. Heat up some oil in the pan.
5. Fry salmon in pan for about 5 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
6. Serve the salmon fillet alongside the prawns, vegetables and steamed watercress.
Dish: Ginger Prawns
1kg prawns, shelled
1 tbsp ginger, sliced
bunch spring onions, 5cm lengths
few shallots, chopped
1 tsp seasme seed oil
1 cup rice
1/2 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 small red chillis, sliced
1. Cook the rice with water and coconut milk.
2. Mix prawns with a drizzle of soya sauce and sesame seed oil.
3. Heat a few drops of sesame seed oil in a pan.
4. Sautee shallots, red chilli, garlic and ginger.
5. Add the prawns and let them cook for a few minutes.
6. Put prawns aside and lightly fry the spring onions.
7. Serve the prawns hot alongside the coconut rice and top with spring onions.
Dish: Mum’s Pad Thai
1. To prepare chicken, make some deep cuts into the drumlets.
2. Add chicken to a bowl and mix with onions, light soya sauce and Thai chili paste.
3. Massage the chicken drumlets well with the marinade.
4. Finally, add some chopped garlic and place mixture in the fridge for 1 hour.
5. To cook chicken, add to hot oiled pan, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.
6. Serve with lemon slices.
Dish: Mom’s Homecooked Pad Thai
1 Chicken breast, sliced
1 cup rice noodles, soaked
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp Thai chili paste
2 tbsp dried tamarind
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg, whisked
1 cup beansprouts
few stalks spring onions, 5cm lengths
handful crushed peanuts
1. Soak rice noodles in hot water for about 30 minutes.
2. To prepare the Pad Thai sauce, first soak some dry tamarind in water for about 30 minutes. Once softened, discard seeds and tough fibres and reserve the paste.
3. In a bowl, add in paprika, white pepper, fish sauce, Thai chilli paste and tamarind paste.
4. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in some water and add to the sauce.
5. Heat some oil in a pan to fry the chicken, set aside.
6. Add in 2 whisked eggs, fry well, set aside.
7. Heat more oil in the pan.
8. Cook the noodles in pan until they are soft.
9. Next, add in the fried chicken pieces and eggs.
10. Add in the sauce gradually, followed by beansprouts and spring onions.
11.Stir-fry well to incorporate all the flavours.
12. Top with crushed peanuts and serve along with chicken drumlets.
Dish: Vegetarian Pasta
1 pkt spaghetti
1 eggplant, sliced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
4 monkey head mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves, garlic, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
knob of butter
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, slit a cross on the skin of tomatoes and remove the stems.
3. Place the tomatoes into the pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds.
4. Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl of ice cold water for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Peel off skin, dice the tomatoes and remove their seeds.
6. Heat up some oil in a saucepan, add the tomatoes and half the onions and cover the pot to simmer.
7. In a separate pan, fry the eggplants with salt and pepper.
8. Once soft, put eggplants aside and melt some butter in the pan.
9. Toss in the rest of the diced onions followed by the mushrooms
10. Meanwhile, add some garlic and parsley to the tomato pasta sauce.
11. Next, add the eggplants and mushrooms into the tomato sauce and stir well.
12. Serve the pasta with a generous helping of the sauce, add parsely for garnish.